Wednesday, January 16, 2008

So Far So Good

Since Monday I've been doing my best to do the things I listed in my 2008 goals. And so far, I've been doing pretty well. I've been taking my vitamins, getting in some regular exercise, and doing more reading and blogging. I'm certainly not perfect, but being okay with that is one of my goals, too.

The eating is so-so. I've been trying to subtly cut portions (getting the amount I know will satisfy me and not stuff me) and have been trying to choose foods with the most nutritional punch. I'm not banning any certain foods, but I'm not going out of my way to buy, look for or eat "junk" food (this is mainly candy, cookies, anything high sugar and fat and not much else). I did eat two pieces of candy on Monday, but the way I see it, it was better than eating 12! (And I had no desire, too, either.)

Last night we had a dinner for the church council and staff, and I have to say I did eat to excess there. There were a couple reasons for that. Physically, I let myself get too hungry, and by the time we finally ate, I was gobbling. Emotionally, I know part of it was out of unease and awkwardness. I'm definitely an introvert, and occasions like those often make me nervous and unsure of myself, so I tend to hide in the food.

But I'm staying positive. I recognized the reasons why, and having recognized them, maybe I can learn to find alternate ways of coping.

I did a big thing for myself today. I went for a haircut, and I made the courageous move and asked for advice because I wanted a change. Since I adopted my daughter nine years ago I've kept my hair pretty short, and last year I started trying to grow it out. It's still not long, hardly even mid-length, but it's probably the longest I've had it this decade. But the last few months I found myself more and more disappointed with it. Maybe it had to do with the girl who was cutting it -- the last time she cut my hair I left the salon and actually disliked it more than I had when I walked in!

So this time I got the other girl who works at the salon, and we went through hairstyle magazines until we found two photos, that when merged, we thought would work with my hair. I almost hate to admit this, but I've gone with a bob with bangs very reminiscent of Katie Holmes. Here's another photo ensemble of her current style, and I'm somewhere in between the three styles.

Normally my hair is on the naturally wavy/almost curly side, and today the stylist straightened my hair to complete the look. And I have to admit I really liked it. So I guess I'll have to go out and buy one of those ceramic hair straightener doohickeys.

So far my mother and daughter have seen it and both like it, my daughter especially so. I thought she was going to hyperventilate she loved it so much! The true test will be my husband. I'm not sure what he'll think.

I feel kind of silly about this; throughout my life I've been a bit of a rebel when it came to popular hairstyles. I completely skipped the Farrah Fawcett 70s, the Madonna 80s and the Jennifer Aniston 90s. Why am I now caving into current trends? What can I say? It looks cute.

And darn it, what better way, non-food wise, to treat myself and make myself feel special than by getting a new hair cut? When I walked into the salon I felt weighed down by my lifeless, blah locks. Now I feel more groomed, sleeker and more stylish. Not bad for less than $20!

No comments: