Monday, June 2, 2008

What a Pain

Okay, I realize it's been almost a month to the day since I've posted last. I'm not pleased with that, and apologize to those who've posted messages here and I haven't responded right away.

For three and a half weeks I've been dealing with nearly constant pain in my neck, shoulder and arm, with some infrequent tingling in both arms. For those of you who have been with me from the beginning of my blogging life, you'll know about my previous problems in this area, which is fully documented in this old blog entry.

I have tremendous respect for people who deal with permanent chronic pain, because these past three weeks have been tough. I rarely get through a full night's sleep without waking up with my shoulder and arm in agony.

You may wonder if I'm getting this treated. Almost two weeks ago I called my surgeon, but it right before Memorial Day and he was away. To add to it, he is based out of Pittsburgh and only visits our Podunk little area once a week. But the nurse knew me from my previous visits there and took my health insurance information. The hope was that we could get an MRI scheduled and the doctor could have it on hand when I have my appointment. Well, because MRIs are so expensive, my health insurance won't approve it until they receive doctor's "notes." So now I have to wait until June 23 to even see the guy so he can write something up, THEN wait for approval from the health insurance, then get the MRI scheduled, have it done, then wait God knows how long to get another appointment with the doctor!

So in the meantime I'm popping Ibuprofen, trying to do the stretching exercises I learned in physical therapy last time, and icing the shoulder down. I did heat at first, which turned out to be a mistake, because while it felt good at first, it seemed to make the area even more inflamed later, and seemed to be causing the excruciating pain I was having at night. The cold treatment has cut that down greatly, thank goodness. It's still not gone, though. Sleeping involves a complicated operation of body and pillow positioning that still never gives me a completely pain-free night.

On the bright side, I really think the Clearing Emotional Blocks hypnosis CD I started last month has kept me sane through all of this. My irritability and frustration has been quite low, and I can only attribute my level of tolerance and calm to that half an hour I spend every night listening to the CD and relaxing my body while listening to those positive, affirmative statements and suggestions.

In fact, I truly believe the CD has helped me throughout my life. I'm much more patient with my family, which I'm really glad about because I didn't like how frazzled I would get in the mornings trying to get my daughter despite her lack of organization and tiny attention span. I feel calmer throughout the day and have found it easier to speak my mind in a calm, confident way. I have had a goodly number of stresses in my life right now -- I'll get to some here when I can -- and I'm amazed that I've been able to handle them as well as I have.

Now that my first month is over, I'm now beginning a month of the second CD, Intuitive Eating for Weight Release. I'm really hoping the CD will help me as much as the first one has.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I am SO sorry that this has reoccurred!!! I know about chronic pain first hand and it SUCKS. (You can tell I have teenagers).

the only thing I am wondering - did you check with the nurse about the Ibuprofen??? they might want you to take something else.

the reason that I ask - is with my back go around - one of the possibilities was an epidural and I had to been OFF for over a week to have it done.

I don't know if this is even a possibility for you (I decided against mine in the end) but if you doc is only there on limited runs and wants to do one at your initial visit - you will have to have been off Ibuprofen for over a week.

You might want to call and sound the nurse out on this. There was a whole long list of other meds that I needed to have been off for over a week.

Yours might be different - but with my back - I have to do my physical therapy exercises (every other day) for life. I know this is true for Helen too.

Blog land is REALLY quiet - so don't get your feelings hurt if you have few comments about this posting. I am not sure if everyone is out having fun or if they are wallowing in a pit somewhere - because they AREN'T WRITING about it.

I stop by everyday to see what you are up to. No pressure - no worries - but if you post - I will see it - don't feel alone.