Monday, February 11, 2008

Expectations

On the second day of our trip we did the typical tourist experience by taking the double decker bus tour. I recommended this to my travel companions because in my past trip to London, I felt it was a great way to see a general overview of the city, and we could then figure out what we would like to see in more detail the rest of the week. There are lots of positives to the bus tour: you listen to an entertaining and informative recording; you can get off at any of the stops to investigate a particular area in more depth, then hop back on when you're ready; you can buy tickets for other London events at a reduced price; and the cost of the bus trip includes a boat ride on the Thames.

We started out trying to ride in the back of the upper deck. I know, you're thinking, "In January?" But January weather in London was much warmer than what we had been dealing with in the mid-Atlantic of the United States. The day I left Pennsylvania it had been 5 degrees F that morning. I don't think it ever went below freezing during our stay in England. But it did get a little chilly in the wind after a while, and we moved forward to the covered section of the top level of the bus. The pictures weren't as nice (as you can see at right), but at least we warmed up a little!


My friends and I decided to get off the bus at Westminster Abbey. We took some pictures, drank some coffee, and I had to run into the gift shop and buy more batteries! At left is a photo of me and one of my fellow travelers. Here's an odd thing: when I look at this picture and the one I posted here a few days ago of me and my friends at Piccadilly Circus, I actually look smaller than I expected. I by no means think I look skinny, but knowing how much weight I've gained over the last six months, I thought I should look so much worse. In fact, ever since I've regained this weight, I haven't looked in the mirror or any of my pictures and seen a horror looking back at me. I know from the scale and the fit of my clothes that I've changed, but otherwise, I kind of feel pretty much the same. Is my self-image so distorted? Or am I actually beginning to find some of the grace, peace and concord that this engraving on the side of the abbey wishes for us?

Even so, I've got a long way to go. That evening we were supposed to meet up with some British friends of one of my companions, and I was a little nervous about this. I can get so self-conscious and uncomfortable when put in situations with new people, especially ones who I think are more cultured, sophisticated, intelligent or classier than I am. And let's face it: I figured they'd be thin and gorgeous and make it all the more obvious that I'm anything but these descriptions I've just listed.
We went to a pizzeria in Soho (I know, pizza in England) and I got to order an individual pizza with courgette and aubergine (what they call zuchinni squash and eggplant!) which was quite delicious. And guess what: when the Londoners arrived, they were normal, funny, charming people who were incredibly welcoming and wonderful to talk to. The one female in the group was round and lovely, had great hair and wore her clothes in a way that flattered and showed off her curves. And she urged me to order the chocolate cake for dessert because she knew I'd love it. It was a great evening and for once I didn't feel awkward, uncomfortable, dumb and hokey. We were a group of friends connecting, eating and making fantastic memories.

No comments: